Photo by Kara O'Keefe Chadbourne
MELAINA SPITZER, FOUNDER + HEAD COACH
A letter from the ceo
Before I was a coach, I worked a dialogue facilitator and peacebuilder. My role was to enter conflict and post-conflict situations and support people to build or rebuild the relationships necessary to actually transform a conflict and bring about peace. I had the honor to facilitate dialogues between leaders, governments, companies, indigenous groups, nonprofits and youth leaders across the globe. I worked with Iraqis, Bosnians, Northern Irish, Cypriots, Amazonian leaders and many more. I witnessed incredible breakthroughs--and also massive breakdowns, where entire peace processes fell apart.
I discovered that there was one key component missing from this peacebuilding work: Inner Peacebuilding. It becomes impossible to accept qualities or parts of our enemies when we can't accept those same parts within ourselves. Dialogues often fell apart because those involved were triggered by their so-called enemies, and came face to face with their own shadows. Often, the part of someone else we can't be with is the part of ourselves we are still unable to accept.
Inner Peace is vital to great leadership, yet it is the component so glaringly absent in our society today. I decided it was time to start cultivating inner peace with our leaders. After all, the survival of our world depends on it. And so, Inner Peacebuilding was born.
Inner Peacebuilding gives leaders access to our personal power, by transforming the inner conflict that leave us reactive, disempowered, and not living our full potential. When you join the Inner Peacebuilding family, expect to come face to face with your greatness. You may experience:
- Increased ability to resolve conflict on your teams
- Breakthroughs in creativity, innovation, and motivation
- An authentic leadership style that inspires others
- Tangible results through consistent and reliable action
- Mastery of areas previously outside your comfort zones
- Deeper and more rewarding personal relationships
-Major shifts in health, wellbeing, and resilience
Welcome to this community, where we champion each other to go beyond fear and discover what's possible. This is the place where we transform our relationship with ourselves once and for all, in service of something greater. I am so grateful to be on this journey to inner and outer peace together.
Melaina Audrey Spitzer
Founder and CEO, Inner Peacebuilding
Melaina Spitzer is Founder of Inner Peacebuilding, a coaching and training company for social impact leaders. With fifteen years of experience working as a coach, consultant, and facilitator in conflict transformation, Melaina has supported hundreds of leaders across the globe in creating thriving, impactful companies and organizations.
Melaina spent 7 years in the field in South America working to transform socio-environmental conflicts in indigenous territories and reporting for the BBC, NPR, and PRI on gender, human rights, and the environment. Melaina received her Masters in Peace, Conflict, and Security from the Universidad del Salvador in Argentina as a Rotary World Peace Fellow. She served as visiting professor at the School For International Training where she spent several years training Iraqi youth in Citizen Media for Human Rights. In 2015, Melaina launched two impact companies of her own: Inner Peacebuilding and Dance Adventures. She currently dedicates her time to helping leaders maximize their impact in the world and live successful and purposeful lives.
- Awarded the Rotary World Peace Fellowship to complete Masters in International Relations - Peace, Conflict, and Security.
- Selected as New Tactics in Human Rights Practitioner on Engaging Youth in Nonviolent Activistm
- Facilitated a multi-stakeholder dialogue in the Brazilian Atlantic Rainforest.
- Conducted field research on conflict transformation strategies used in conflict zones during Colombia's armed conflict.
- Trained in participatory facilitation, mediation, and conflict transformation.
- Reported for BBC/PRI's The World and NPR's Latino USA across South America
- Coordinated Cross-Border Network Indigenous Rights in the Amazon.
- Awarded CV Starr Social Entrepreneurship Fellowship for Peacebuilding in Divided Cyprus.
- Created new Gender and Sustainable Development program in Brazilian Indigenous Communities.
- Taught Citizen Media for Human Rights for Iraqi Youth Leadership Program
- Trained in SAVI Communication techniques, HeartMath Coaching, and Cultivating Emotional Equilibrium.